On the 27th of January the memorial museum of Ilya Repin will host an opening of the exhibition fearing works by a renown Soviet graphic Anatoly Kaplan (1902-1980). The exhibition marks the date when the siege of the city of Leningrad got lifted completely.
Displayed 26 lithographs which are part of the big series ‘Leningrad’ (1944-1956) derive from the collection of Ludmila and Isaac Kushnir from St. Petersburg.
Anatoly Kaplan was born in Rahachow, Belarus. Around 1922 Kaplan moved to Leningrad (Petrograd at that year), where he was to base his career for the rest of his life. In 1927 he graduated from the Russian Academy of Arts. During the war, after the first blockage year of 1942, Anatoly Kaplan was evacuated to the Urals, but returned to Leningrad in 1944. The city, wounded from war, had become the major motif in his oeuvre.
A substantial retrospective exhibition of Kaplan's work was held at the Russian Museum, St. Petersburg, in 1995. Other major exhibitions took place abroad.
This series of landscapes is one of the most profound and shrill declaration of love to the city ever known. It is a loving farewell, a memorial; it is hope and penitence - all at once. The artist seems to have escaped the monumental image of the glorious classical city created by his predecessors E. Lansere, M. Dobujinsky, A. Ostroumova-Lebedeva.
The exhibition will be open until the 13th of March, 2016.