From the 7th of June, 2014 to the 29th of June, 2014 the Titian hall of the Art Academy museum hosts an exhibition dedicated to the oeuvre of the Russian architect Sergey Speransky. Sergey Speransky (1914-1983) was one of the leading post-war architects of Leningrad. Among his creations hotel “Leningrad” (now “Saint-Petersburg”), the ensemble of the Victory square and the monument to the Heroic defenders of Leningrad are the first to be mentioned.
The exhibition at the Art Academy, where the architect acquired his education and later was teaching, features different sketches and architectural projects. Photographs of architecture that was built according to his designs are also to be found at the exhibition. The exposition also displays graphic works by the architect from the collection of the State Museum of Saint-Petersburg’s History that were never shown before. Being a professional architect and a teacher Sergey Speransky contributed a lot to the development of architecture in the post-war decade and also during the time of the so-called “typological industrial constricting” which didn’t allow any architectural “profusions”.
Sergey Speransky was honored as a People’s Architect of the USSR (1971), was a laureate of the State USSR Prize (1973) and the Prize in the name of Lenin (1978).
The exhibition is organized with the support of the Academy of Fine Arts Research Museum, the Saint-Petersburg Union of Architects, the Fund of Sergey Choban and the magazine “Project Baltia”.