Museum
Exhibitions
Collections
Events
Scientific work
Collaboration
Information
Saint-Petersburg, Universitetskaya embankment, 17.
phone: (812) 323-3578, (812) 323-6496
 
 
Titian hall
Conference hall
Raphael hall
Katherine hall









VKontakte

FaceBook

Youtube

Instagram

Twitter



Подписка на рассылку:


Raphael hall




View a virtual tour of the hall

            Is a part of the enfilade of the Ceremonial halls of the second floor of the main building. Is located between Pimenovsky and Conference halls. According to the project of  K.A.Ton which studied in the Academy this hall was one of two mezzanine halls in which there were stored casts of antique sculptures during the years of A.N. Olenin’s presidency.  
In the 19th century it was called Titian hall.  Huge replicas made by Russian and foreign painters from the original masterpieces of Italian Renaissance masters hung opposite the windows in luxurious carved gold-plated frames in the middle of the 19th century, major part of them was gifted to the Academy by Nikolai I. In 1920s picturesque canvases were removed from the frames and built in the walls. 
Over the doors of Raphael hall and on the wall opposite of the door there are replicas of frescos of Raphael and his students which form the complex of frescos in the Vatican castle in Rome, so called “Raphael stanze”. These replicas were made by order of the Academy by its beneficiaries.  This collection is especially precious due to the fact that many replicas are the works of such outstanding Russian artists of the first half of the 19th century, as K.P. Bryullov, P.V. Basin, А.Т .Markov which became the leading professors of the Academy of Arts in the middle of the century and outstanding representatives of the academy school.   
The first delivered was “Athens school” of K.P. Bryullov made by the painter in 1823-1828 during his beneficiary trip to Italy. According to Bryullov’s memories the work over replica of one of the best Raphael’s frescos appeared to a be a serious school of mastership to him and had a big influence on his personality. In Italy he also got an idea of painting and painted his prominent “The Last Day of Pompeii” which was exhibited in the Academy of Arts in 1834. The painting attracted attention with its romantic but tense theme and innovative painting techniques.
Two replicas of P.V. Basin are dated 1827-1828:
 
“Release of the Apostle Peter from the Prison” and “Bolsen Mass”. High professionalism and accuracy of depicting let the artist earn justified fame, and soon afterwards the title of the Academician.  Sometime later there were painted the rest replicas exhibited in Raphael hall : “Parnassus” of I.Hofman (1830) which is placed over the entrance, “Jurisprudence” of S.F. Deladves  (1850) and “Dispute” of F.V. Vigand (1835) on the main wall, as well as “Fire in Borgo” by А.Т Markov (1834-1836) on the end wall of the hall. All replicas are depicted with oil on the canvases and strictly comply with the size of the original works.   
In the middle part of the wall opposite of the windows there was mounted a plaster cast of the eastern bronze doors of a baptistery in Florence. These doors were made in the 15th century by an Italian sculptor Lorenzo Ghiberti who devoted 27 years of his life to this work. A cast from these doors was made in 1776 and gifted to the Academy by its honorable member N.A. Demidov. The moulds made from this cast were used for casting the bronze reliefs placed on the doors of the northern façade of Kazansky Cathedral. In ten square fields of the plaster cast there were depicted the themes from the Bible: “Adam and Eve”, “Cain and Abel”, “Noah”, “Abraham”, “Solomon and the Queen of Sheba”, “Moses” , “Joseph, Esau and Jacob ”, “Fall of the Jericho Walls ”, “David and Goliath”. Each theme is represented by several episodes which let us see its development in time.  
 Raphael hall is used for temporary exhibitions arranged and held by the Scientific-Research Museum of the Russian Academy of Arts (as well as for exhibition of the museum’s funds).

On 31st of July museum is closed.
...
On 20th of March museum is closed.
...

Addresses and  maps 
of the branches




© 2008-2017 НИМРАХ. Дизайн - Петрова Е. Программирование - Станислав Якуббо - создание сайтов.

Quoting and reprinting of materials is possible only with written permission.